Methodical software engineer, with experience working remotely with realtime and batch analytics data.
I strive to build things that are reliable, simple, and easy to maintain, and relish all opportunties to jump headfirst into new projects, and learn new things.
- Growth opportunties
- Learning and Teaching
- Work/Life Balance
- Remote work
Parse.ly is an analytics company, focused on measuring web attention, with a backend that processes over 100 billion events in a month. I enjoy working across all of our systems, finding ways to increase stability and reduce time to value for our team and customers.
Senior Software Engineer (Backend)2020 - currentPython Swift Elasticsearch Redis Spark Storm Kafka AWS
- Led implementation & design of backend processing for a new product, with a team of 2 backend engineers.
- Led switchover to semantic versioning on shared internal library, encouraging best practices.
- Designed and implemented solutions for realtime scaling issues in several internal systems
- Shipped new features for core products, and help prototype new products
- Mentored other engineers/developers
- Built tooling and internal library enhancements that support faster shipping, and more reliablility
- Linked business and engineering teams within the company by leveraging communication and technical skills in tandem.
- Prototyped internal customer usage data tools to predict and prevent churn; successfully advocated for usage data's place in our workflow
- Managed technical aspects of customer relationships, including: data discrepancy analysis, custom integration support, answering technical questions in sales/customer calls, debugging
- Built and scripted internal tools to streamline repetitive internal tasks and save time
Amanda Jones websiteSummer '15Angular Facebook Graph API HTML/CSS Wordpress
Amanda Jones, a country singer, needed a basic website to get her started on her career. I used Facebook's API to give her an easy-to-manage Event list, and built a simple media player and Wordpress integration. (She has since signed with a label, and her online presence is now run through a music management company -- major congrats, Amanda!)
The church needed a simple website for service times and directions. I focused on making the page load quickly (Vermont's cellular data coverage is not great) and a clean, simple design to focus on the content.
Open Source/Community Projects
Exercism: Maintainer, Contributor, and MentorGolang Python
Exercism, an open-sourced, community-driven learning platform, is a great place to learn a new coding language.
- Help maintain Python track, primarily by assisting with migration to V3 of the Exercism product
- Contribute to the CLI and creating new Python exercises
- Mentor solutions (a brief 1:1 code review for each one) in Python and Go tracks
Logu: Batch Uploader for GraphitePython Graphite Statsd
Logu is a tool that uploads historical log data with Graphite, which is more commonly used as a realtime system. Bulk uploads aren't directly supported in popular client libraries like statsd, so I wrote a tool to make that easier.