Methodical software engineer, with experience working remotely with realtime and batch analytics data.
I strive to build things that are reliable, simple, and easy to maintain, and relish all opportunties to jump headfirst into new projects, and learn new things.
Square's mission is economic empowerment. They build payments, banking, financing, and other solutions primarily for small business.
Software Engineer: API Extensibility2021 - currentGo Java Ruby gRPC
- I develop and maintain highly scalable services that support Square's public APIs.
Parse.ly is an analytics company, focused on measuring web attention, with a backend that processes over 100 billion events in a month. I enjoy working across all of our systems, finding ways to increase stability and reduce time to value for our team and customers.
Senior Software Engineer (Backend)2020 - 2021Python Swift Elasticsearch Redis Spark Storm Kafka AWS
- Led implementation & design of backend processing for a new product, with a team of 2 backend engineers.
- Led switchover to semantic versioning on shared internal library, encouraging best practices.
- Designed and implemented solutions for realtime scaling issues in several internal systems
- Shipped new features for core products, and help prototype new products
- Mentored other engineers/developers
- Built tooling and internal library enhancements that support faster shipping, and more reliablility
- Linked business and engineering teams within the company by leveraging communication and technical skills in tandem.
- Prototyped internal customer usage data tools to predict and prevent churn; successfully advocated for usage data's place in our workflow
- Managed technical aspects of customer relationships, including: data discrepancy analysis, custom integration support, answering technical questions in sales/customer calls, debugging
- Built and scripted internal tools to streamline repetitive internal tasks and save time
Amanda Jones websiteSummer '15Angular Facebook Graph API HTML/CSS Wordpress
Amanda Jones, a country singer, needed a basic website to get her started on her career. I used Facebook's API to give her an easy-to-manage Event list, and built a simple media player and Wordpress integration. (She has since signed with a label, and her online presence is now run through a music management company -- major congrats, Amanda!)
The church needed a simple website for service times and directions. I focused on making the page load quickly (Vermont's cellular data coverage is not great) and a clean, simple design to focus on the content.
Open Source/Community Projects
Exercism: Maintainer, Contributor, and MentorGolang Python
Exercism, an open-sourced, community-driven learning platform, is a great place to learn a new coding language.
- Help maintain Python track, primarily by assisting with migration to V3 of the Exercism product
- Contribute to the CLI and creating new Python exercises
- Mentor solutions (a brief 1:1 code review for each one) in Python and Go tracks
Logu: Batch Uploader for GraphitePython Graphite Statsd
Logu is a tool that uploads historical log data with Graphite, which is more commonly used as a realtime system. Bulk uploads aren't directly supported in popular client libraries like statsd, so I wrote a tool to make that easier.